Ridiculous, I submit, as in, fluoride the poison in pharmaceutical-drag. Drink-me indeed.
For many disturbing years, general wisdom intoned a doom -- that fluoride bio-accumulates, weakens bones; silts up in the pineal gland, the thyroid; puts dialysis patients at risk; unleashes a pandemic of fibromyalgia, fluorine diabetes, cancer, depression, low thyroid-obesity. You get the drift.
But mercifully, that is not the whole story.
So, as reality check, we have:
1) Fluoridated public drinking water, and in some countries, fluoridated salt.
2) Processed foods & beverages made with that water.
3) Fluoridated toothpaste, targeted especially at children.
4) Entrenched “public servants” who posture for the cameras but seldom show courage against wrongful policy, inadvertent or otherwise.
5) Bureaucracy known to perform CYA (cover-yo-ass-ets.) Really? How? By threatening/punishing/offing whistleblowers. By withholding funds, from research exposing crummy science or malignant policy -- A gubmint & corporate circle-the-wagons, against impertinent citizenry.
Does that seem like a David & Goliath set-up?!! Let’s consider some can-do.
Shifting Public Policy:
Fluoride Action Network, an international resource, has a new 28 min. DVD, “Professional Perspectives on Water Fluoridation.” -- A concerned scientists’ rebuttal of mandatory fluoride. Could be useful citizen tool, to share and show to water boards and legislators who live to defend the status quo. View DVD excerpt: http://www.fluoridealert.org/ Scroll down, the site also has updates on local and international action.
Drinking Water, and Less Blatant Fluoride Sources, oh my:
For years it has been maddening that in-house water filter specs have assured consumers that “beneficial fluoride” would not be removed by the filter they purchase! Good news, R&D, yea, awakening follow:
According to the Fluoride Action Network, the following countries currently engage in the practice fluoridating their salt: Austria, Bolivia, Columbia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, France, Germany, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Switzerland, and Venezuela.
While most developed countries, including nearly all of Europe, have rejected the practice of dumping industrial fluoride waste into their water supplies, many of those living outside the United States & Canada must contend with the growing problem of fluoridated salt.
May contain fluoride, including antidepressants (yes, Paxil, Prozac, etc.) and antibiotics (yes, Cipro.) Data thanks to Vancouver-based "Parents of Fluoride-Poisoned Children." http://poisonfluoride.com/pfpc/html/index_drugs.html
Eat organic. See http://www.organicconsumers.org/ and links in sidebar of this blog. Look for an article here soon on the organic foods issue.
Do small children swallow fluoridated toothpaste? Sure. Is the toothpaste made yummier by artificial flavors and sweeteners? Could children be getting fluoride from other sources? Say, fluoridated water in baby food, sodas and juices, antibiotics, behavior-modification meds, Teflon-coated cookware, pesticide residues? Is that a bit much?
Tom’s of Maine, homeopathic and Ayurvedic toothpastes, old-fashioned baking soda/sea salt are options to industrial-strength advertising to brush with fluoride.
Choose first flush leaf, from younger plants, and organic (not treated with fluoride-containing AgriBiz poisons.) Dr. Sahelian discusses the issue: http://www.raysahelian.com/fluoride.html
We may be entering a time when being a homemaker is again recognized as an honored life’s work, and small family farms are recognized as local heroes! See the first clarion call in this series, “7 Fat and 7 Lean Years.” http://feastandfamine.blogspot.com/2008/06/7-fat-years-7-lean.html
I’ve spent many hours burrowing for the detox exit out of the fluoride labyrinth. Way-markers follow. This should in no way be construed as medical advice. Consult your health care provider:
1) Saunas to sweat out toxins
2) Tamarind http://www.raysahelian.com/tamarind.html Check at Asian and Mexican groceries. Verrry interesting to moi, was the discovery that many online sources for tamarind paste (for curry, South American stews, aqua de tamarindo) are sold out. Tamarind is said to help bio-remove fluoride from the pineal, big news among those who walk the talk of right-thinking and peace-begins-with-me.
3) Liquid Zeolite http://www.liquidzeoliteplus.com/index.html
6) Lactic Ferments, inc. Kombucha:
7) Shitaki, Maitaki medicinal mushrooms
8) Dulse, kombu, nori: Sea veggie sources of iodine: "Iodine supplementation markedly increases urinary excretion of fluoride and bromide.” http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_2003_May/ai_100767875
9) Aloe Vera juice http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/fluoride.html
10) Calcium-rich herbs http://www2.fluoridealert.org/Pollution/Miscellaneous/Fluoride-toxicity-in-Jharkhand-State-of-India
11) Borax http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/fluoride.html
12) Healing the Pineal Gland: http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7273
13) Turmeric & Tulsi (holy basil):
I can't help but wonder if this toxic stuff isn't adding to our osteo problems here. It really angers me. Many countries in Europe have banned it. Why not us?
A longish explanation: http://www.garynull.com/documents/Dental/Fluoride/fluoride2.htm
3) Food Wrapper Chemicals: Since we're naming names, a murk-light puhleaze on DUPONT, which created grease-proof fast-food containers and microwave popcorn packaging. Grease-proofing via a fluoride compound, which is now found in the blood of the general population.
Yeoman Gardener's 5-star reviewed books: